Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Guava Time


At my childhood home, there's a guava tree in the backyard. I don't know what kind of guava it is, but from Googling "types of guava" I'm going to guess it's a China Guava tree (http://www.21food.com/products/guava-49088.html). This makes sense because we are Chinese, right?!
The fragrant aroma is very distinctive and indescribable if you ask me. The flesh is soft and mushy but it also has edible seeds inside that are hard and crunchy. As I type I feel like I got part of a seed stuck in my teeth. I need floss. 

Anyway, the scent and sight of these little fruits remind me of my childhood. Running around in the lawn sprinklers on a hot Southern California day (no one would be caught doing that now in this major drought...sad), attempting 100 cartwheels before collapsing from dizziness, and of course being a typical little Asian girl and munching on weird Asian fruits.  I remember when the tree would produce an abundance of guavas. So many we couldn't possibly eat them all before they rotted or before the birds got to them. All my aunties and uncles (family friends) would come over with their reused plastic grocery bags and pick the guavas. Their bags were almost overflowing! Those were the days...!

One day if I am to ever own a house with a backyard (I must say WITH a backyard because nowadays those are almost nonexistent in today's OC real estate) I would want fruit trees so my child/children could pick off weird fruits and love them as much as I did. But for now, I will gladly take fruit from my parents house and enjoy them on my condo patio. :)

Did you grow up with fruit trees? Vegetable plants? How about now? 

No comments:

Post a Comment